The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has said that the statement credited to President Muhammadu Buhari on dealing with ballot box snatchers or arsonists in upcoming presidential elections is not a license to kill.
President of the congress, Mr Ayuba Wabba, stated this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja, NAN reports
According to Wabba, the presidtent’s comment to deal summarily with ballot snatchers or arsonists is not a license to kill but intended to deter trouble makers.
“We insist on strong institutions for the sustenance of our democracy,’’ he said.
Wabba, however, called on Nigerians to avoid violence during the Presidential and National Assembly elections across the country on Saturday.
He said that as Nigerians went to the polls, they must exhibit the finest traditions, highest values, utmost sense of responsibility and unflagging patriotism in them.
“The respectability we crave in other lands depend not on how many barrels of crude oil we export in a day or how populous we are or how many billions of dollars we illegally siphon outside the country.
“It is on the choice we make and how we make that choice – cast our vote wisely or sell it for pittance; cause violence or exhibit decorum; levy war or wage peace; eschew egotism or elevate it.’’
The labour leader noted that all candidates in the polls had the potential to win or to lose, but that the decision rested not with the candidates but the electorate.
He said that it was, therefore, infantile or naive for some candidates to assume that they could not lose.
“The moment of truth has come, and we must of necessity perform our civic duty in fulfilment of our beliefs or in betrayal of them.
“Our conduct will reveal our true identity, betray our intentions and test our claim to nationhood.
“We, therefore, challenge you the candidates, politicians, supporters, security personnel and INEC to be of utmost good behaviour and ethical standard.
“You are also to conduct yourselves with civility, humility, truth and abide by the rule of law,’’ Wabba said.
He also called on Nigerians to remember the oft-rehashed phrase, that the victory or loss of any candidate was not worth the blood of any Nigerian, not even the blood of a chicken.
“We appeal to all to note that when we sponsor or stoke violence we cannot predict its course or end. We should therefore do all that is necessary to prevent it.
“We urge all Nigerians to note that we are going to the poll and not war, and they should accordingly tone down their rhetoric or blood pressure.
“In this contest, there must be losers and winners, and we do not need to rig to win or snatch ballot boxes or cause mayhem to be reckoned with.
“As those things do not project our strength or power but primitivism, primordial mentality and our weakness,’’ he added.
Wabba urged INEC to be fair, impartial and just, to all parties or contestants, saying that the onus rested on it to conduct free, fair and credible elections and earn the confidence of the electorate.
INEC to Issue a certificate of Return to Senator’s Elect.
The Independent National Electoral Commission is currently presenting certificates of return to candidates who emerged victorious in the senatorial election held across the country on February 23.
The event is holding at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.
The senators-elect are being called states by states to collect their certificates from officials of the
House of Representatives’ members-elect are expected to take their turn later in the day.
INEC had earlier announced that only those whose names appeared on its website as winners of the election would be presented with certificates.
- INEC to Issue a certificate of Return to Senator’s Elect.
- Buhari Tells NNPc to Fully take over Operation Of OML 11 from Shell.
- Nigeria elections: Saraki receives 10,000 APC supporters, reacts to Buhari’s order [PHOTOS]
- Nigeria Elections: APC reveals what PDP is doing ahead of Saturday
- Nigeria elections: PDP speaks on attack on Osinbajo
- Nigeria decides: INEC Chairman, Yakubu reveals those who won’t vote during elections
- Buhari vs Atiku: US speaks on ‘attack’ on PDP presidential candidate
- 2019 elections: Army warns politicians against causing trouble in Akwa Ibom
- Buhari vs Atiku: Oba of Benin speaks on preferred candidate
- Nigeria decides 2019: PDP blasts El-Rufai govt
- Nigeria Election: 7 things voters must not do at polling unit – INEC
- Buhari vs Atiku: NLC speaks on Saturday presidential election, reacts to threat on ballot box snatchers
- 2019 presidency: Opposition flooding Nigeria with foreign currencies to rig election – Buhari cries out
- BREAKING: Nigeria elections: PDP chairman meets Buhari, decamps to APC
- My P**Y is not meant for broke guys – Teenage Ghanaian singer
News1 month ago
16 year old girl expose mother’s boyfriend after attempt to S3X her (Watch Video)
News1 month ago
We’ve decimated Boko Haram, we’ll crush them totally in ‘next level’ – Buhari boasts in Ondo
Entertainment2 months ago
Popular Hollywood actor, Dick Miller is dead
News2 months ago
My mum made me sex addict – Nigeria lady reveals
News2 months ago
Lady with HIV positive claim she slept with two politician without condom