A cleric, Rev Isaac Newton, on Wednesday appeared before an Ogun State High Court, charged with sexually abusing minors camped at Stephen’s Children’s Home, Abeokuta.
NAN reports that Newton is facing a five-count charge bordering on rape, harassment and indecent assault on minor females.
In the suit filed by Mr Solomon Maren, Newton is alleged to have raped minors aged between 12 and 14, all inmates of the children’s home, in his office, at different times in 2007, 2008 and 2010.
The charge stated that the action contravened Section 358, 359 and 360 of the Criminal Code Col. 1, Revised Laws of Ogun State 2016.
When the case came up for hearing on Wednesday, Newton, who is also the Director, Stephens Centre International School, Abeokuta, pleaded not guilty to all the charges.
The presiding Judge, Justice Samuel Olugbemi, after taking his plea, granted Newton bail in the sum of N5 million, with “two responsible sureties, who must have developed properties including approved building plans”.
Olugbemi further directed that the sureties must also have evidence of three years tax clearance and be resident within the jurisdiction of the court.
The case has been adjourned to April 4, for further hearing.
EFCC arraigns ‘Yahoo boy’ in FCT Court
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned a man identified as Valentine Ezeife, a suspected internet scammer better known as “Yahoo–Yahoo boy” before an FCT High Court in Apo.
The prosecutor, Mrs Samuel Ugwuebulam, told the court that the defendant was arrested in the Life Camp residential area in Abuja, following intelligence reports of shady activities traced to him, NAN reports.
She stated that a Lexus 570 SUV and Toyota Camry car (2013 model) were recovered from the suspect.
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Justice Valentine Ashi admitted the defendant to bail, and to submit his international passport to the court ‘s Registrar.
Ashi ordered the defendant to produce a surety who must be blood relations and also reside within the court’s jurisdiction.
The offence contravened the provisions of Section 319 of the Penal Code Act.
The judge then adjourned the case until February 25 for trial.
- Most Downloaded App. 2018
- INEC to Issue a certificate of Return to Senator’s Elect.
- Buhari Tells NNPc to Fully take over Operation Of OML 11 from Shell.
- Nigeria elections: Saraki receives 10,000 APC supporters, reacts to Buhari’s order [PHOTOS]
- Nigeria Elections: APC reveals what PDP is doing ahead of Saturday
- Nigeria elections: PDP speaks on attack on Osinbajo
- Nigeria decides: INEC Chairman, Yakubu reveals those who won’t vote during elections
- Buhari vs Atiku: US speaks on ‘attack’ on PDP presidential candidate
- 2019 elections: Army warns politicians against causing trouble in Akwa Ibom
- Buhari vs Atiku: Oba of Benin speaks on preferred candidate
- Nigeria decides 2019: PDP blasts El-Rufai govt
- Nigeria Election: 7 things voters must not do at polling unit – INEC
- Buhari vs Atiku: NLC speaks on Saturday presidential election, reacts to threat on ballot box snatchers
- 2019 presidency: Opposition flooding Nigeria with foreign currencies to rig election – Buhari cries out
- BREAKING: Nigeria elections: PDP chairman meets Buhari, decamps to APC
News6 months ago
16 year old girl expose mother’s boyfriend after attempt to S3X her (Watch Video)
Sport6 months ago
Emiliano Sala’s dead body found
News5 months ago
We’ve decimated Boko Haram, we’ll crush them totally in ‘next level’ – Buhari boasts in Ondo
Entertainment5 months ago
‘Peruzzi just messed up Chioma’s upcoming brand’- Kemi Olunloyo reveals
News6 months ago
My mum made me sex addict – Nigeria lady reveals